Roasted Spicy Pumpkin Pasta
Tired of pumpkin pie, muffins, and bread? This is a delicious way to use your Fall pumpkins!
One half of a small pumpkin (about 1 pound) peeled and diced in 1/2-inch cubes
8 tablespoons olive oil
Salt to taste
1 pound orechiette pasta
1 teaspoon fresh garlic, minced
1 large onion, diced medium
1 tablespoon fresh sage, chopped
1/2 pound hot Italian sausage
1 cup heavy cream
1/2 cup Grana Padano, shredded
1. Preheat oven to 400º. Toss pumpkin with 4 tablespoons of olive oil and salt in a large mixing bowl until pumpkin is lightly coated with oil.
2. Transfer to baking pan and roast for 30 minutes or until pumpkin is browned. Remove from oven and set aside.
3. Fill a large stock pot with salted water and bring to a boil. Add the pasta and cook until al dente. Drain, place in a large bowl, and set aside.
4. In a heavy-bottomed sauté pan, heat the remaining olive oil over medium-high heat and sauté the garlic and the onion together, stirring constantly for 2 minutes. Add the sage and continue stirring for another minute.
5. Remove sausage from casing and add to the sauté pan, stirring together until crumbly and browned.
6. Add the pumpkin to the mixture with the heavy cream, stirring to mix thoroughly, and bring to a low boil. Reduce the heat and simmer for 5 minutes, stirring until creamy consistency.
7. Season with salt, pour over pasta, and toss. Divide among eight serving bowls and garnish with Grana Padano.