Tarot spreads are the patterns in which the 78 cards in a Tarot deck are laid out for a reading. Each layout has a unique energy, and each card within the spread represents one aspect of the reading as a whole. Common positions include:
- Self/Situation: Who you are or where you find yourself, right now
- Challenges/Opportunities: The obstacles facing you, and how you can use them to your advantage
- Near Future: Which way the wind is blowing, and how you can direct it toward the outcome you want
Celtic Cross: The Gold Standard of Tarot Spreads
There are hundreds of Tarot spreads, with new ones being created all the time. In fact, spreads are probably being created as you're reading this. The Celtic Cross Tarot spread, which has been used for hundreds of years, is the most common, and with good reason. The positions of the 11 cards offer enough detail to give you past, present and future insight into fairly complex situations.
Other Traditional Spreads
- Tree of Life: This 5-card spread is based on the mystical Hebrew Kabala. It focuses on the body's chakras, or energy centers, and is more spiritual than predictive.
- Astrological Spreads: These spreads usually feature 12 cards, which correspond to the 12 astrological houses. By combining Astrology and Tarot, you get a double dose of insight in one reading. Try our Horoscope Tarot reading.
The Celtic Cross spread is a great introduction to what Tarot has to offer, as well as a reliable standby. But it's not the only game in town! Try one of these unique spreads, exclusive to Tarot.com:
- Happily Ever After Tarot Reading: This 7-card spread answers your relationship question while providing a framework of romance and unconditional love.
- Mandala Tarot: The 12-Card Mandala spread is a comprehensive reading that integrates classical Tarot with the art of Astrology.
- Browse all Tarot Spreads »